Ivel Springs Wetland Stakeholder Event – 27th September 2021 / 13th October 2021
This is a project to create three or four tiered settlement ponds to catch the polluted surface water from Baldock allowing sediments to settle out so that cleaner water runs into the river Ivel together with creating an improved environment at the location. It is part of a larger four stage project funded by Affinity Water to improve the current dire condition of the upper Ivel.
The project is being finance and managed by Affinity Water on behalf of Anglia Water who are responsible for the processing of Baldock surface water. The ponds will be located just north of the railway next to Anglia Sewage Works in Baldock on North Herts District Council land.
When complete NHDC will be responsible for maintaining them. Other local organisations are also involved.
Five Rivers Environmental Contracting a private company have been commissioned by Affinity to survey the site and submit initial conceptual designs for the sight.
RevIvel attended both of the Ivel Wetlands Events on the 27th September and 13th October to initially understand the project scope and organisation so that contributions can be made to the plans and its success.
RevIvel suggestions to enhance the project are:
- Anglia Water clean the surface water sewage contaminants entering the current site.
- The incoming Baldock surface water be tested so that the pollution issues are fully understood.
- The current bund embankment around part of the site to protect from any sewage spillagefrom the Anglia plant should not be removed but maintained as part of the new plan.
- We asked that NHDC are fully informed of the ongoing maintenance costs and responsibilities.
- An outcome statement and measures for the project would help to understand if it was successful on completion.